All under $70
Isn’t storage always something we need? Especially when it comes to clothes and shoes? I DO need lots storage, but I am also kind of looking for extra storage that blends into my bedroom, doesn’t take too much space and that looks super chic. To much to ask? No! Keep it simple with chic & clean lines.
6 Tips to achieve the ultimate chic extra storage look:
- I am not a huuuge IKEA fan but I love the Malm Dresser. I don’t care if everyone has them. I have them and I have them my way. 😉
When it comes to a simple dresser with lots room, I am still going for it. Why not? The great thing is, the dresser comes in different sizes.
I added two 4-Drawer Chests in white together to make it bigger.
- Add Greens. To add a bit more personality I picked two snake plants that join me in my bedroom. One 6″ Pot that goes perfectly on the middle of both Dressers and one 10″ Pot besides the dresser to round up the space between dresser and bed. As already explained in my previous blog post, snake plants are an absolute MUST in any bedroom. Why? Read here more.
If you’re interested in plants, please feel free to visit my website www.vanteriorplants.com
- Candles. To give your bedroom a cozy flair candles are the easiest choice. You can get them in any size and any shape for any budget.
I picked mine from CB2 in Vancouver. I love the “Brass Candle Bowl” for only $20. This candle brings coziness, but also the glam glam effect into my bedroom.
- Jewelry Box. Sort out the jewelry you’re not wearing. Sell them on Marketplace, exchange them in a clothing swap or simply give them away. Pick a jewelry box that fits all your jewelry that’s left, but also suits your style. I picked a mirrored jewelry box that doesn’t take too much space on my dresser, but fits all my fave pieces. I got it a long time ago from Winners, but if you’re looking for something similar chic, I’d recommend the “Oro Champagne Gold Box” from Cb2 as well as the “Small White Marble Box“. Yes, I do love Cb2, but there is also others that caught my eye such as “Abbey Collection Jewelry Box” from Amazon for only $30.00. Chic Chic.
- Pictures / Posters. I love the Desenio posters. I am obsessed with their minimal abstract posters and I just can’t get enough. Check out their website and comment below your thoughts. Which ones are your favourites? Please find below some of my fave pieces from Desenio.
- Color scheme. Go with a color scheme that you can find within your whole bedroom first of all. I love white furniture with black, rose and gold accents and I sticked to it throughout my whole bedroom design. It looks very glamorous, but still bold. The white dresser doesn’t seem to take away too much room compared to if it was Walnut or anything similar in a darker finish. I’d recommend to stick to white furniture as you can always pop it up with accents in the end (and it’s much more cost effective to changeup the accessories instead the furniture pieces).
Please find some of my fave Desenio pictures on the left for your inspiration:
Thank you for dropping by. I hope you guys got inspired.
Have a great week.
I am a big plant lover. I love being surrounded by those lovely creatures anytime anywhere. Nature is a big part of my life and inspires me every time I am hiking backcountry.
So, we know that we like to have plants around us, but can we have them in our bedroom? Many of my clients asked me this question and my answer is yes everytime!
Many plants are harmful, but some of the plants are absolute helpful and you should consider having those in your bedroom for a better & healthier sleep.
Please find below a list of plants that are more then welcome to accompany your beauty sleep.
The Snake Plant
The Snake Plant is an absolute special plant and one of my favourites.
And not only mine. NASA believes in the snake plant and list it on the top 10-air-purifying plants. One big reason is that the snake plant converts CO2 into 02 at night. Most of the plants only do so during the day.
You may already know that Lavender is one of the best-known natural remedy for sleep and relaxation. Due to a lot of research, studies investigated that lavender odor improved sleep quality in a wide array of study participants.
Back to NASA’s list: The English Ivy. It reduced airborne particles of fecal matter by an average of more then 94% over 12 hours and levels of mold in the air went down by 78.5%. Heads up: If you have pets – keep it out of their reach.
Orchids, Succulents and Bromeliads
Those lovely plants are increasing the air quality at night. Most plants are absorbing oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide at night, but those wonders are rebellious and take in carbon diocese and release oxygen during the p.m. hours. The air is kept fresh at night. Who doesn’t want little working minions at night while sleeping?
In my opinion, mother’s nature is an absolute amazing and inspiring system. I can’t read enough about it and I hope this little introduction to plants was informative for you.
Please comment below if you have any questions or if you like to add another fave bedroom plant to the list?
If you are located in Squamish, B.C. Canada, Whistler or Vancouver, please feel free to visit me at my Home Studio. I am happy to show you around and introduce you to many plants that are looking for a home. 🙂
Move your Rug:
This is very important if you do have a rug in your living room. This is why I bring it up in the very beginning. I recommend to ensure your rug is located correctly and speaks positively with the rest of your surrounding furniture and decor. Have the rug sliding at least 10″ below the sofa and/or your lounge chairs. A rug creates a cozy area and is a beautiful statement, but it also can tore apart the area if it is “floating” between furniture and doesn’t have it’s “destination”. See below two examples how a rug can be placed.
How to do it:
How not to do it:
Tip: You may have noticed that in order to be able to move your rug into the right position, the rug shall be big enough for your room in first place. Big rugs make the room feel bigger, even though they may take much more space.
Lighting in general is essential to set the ambient in a room.
To cozy up on a nice evening without having the full light blasting a light warm lighting fixture is the answer.
If you are about to go and get yourself a side table lamp next to your couch, get a dimmable lighting fixture. It will make your life so much easier. Trust me. If you already have your side table lamp, check the base of the bulb how much wattage it takes max. Go and buy a warm light bulb. It makes a huge difference. If it requires an LED bulb, go with flower kelvin number. This means the light will appear more yellow then white or blue.
I am showcasing below 3 of the lighting fixtures I adore by Muuto. A scandinavian brand so simple but WOW. And of course, they are all dimmable.
Be creative with decorative items. Some items might not be as “decorative” as for others. Once myself, I framed an old napkin or a receipt out of an old receipt book and put it on my self. Simple and cheap, but not everyone is the same. Find your simple & cheap decor that pops up your living room and underlines your stye. I’d recommend to visit a thrift store to get ideas and get inspired. It always works for me and while being there, you might find some good old gem.
Tip: If you don’t want to find yourself in the next thrift store close by you, take one of your old books and place them on your coffee table. A candle on top of 3-4 stacked books will do it as well. Books are interesting to open conversations but also a great way to decorate your space.
Plants make a difference:
Plants make a huge difference if you ask me. They are not only beautiful and some of them are flowering here and then, they also clean the air for you. I love plants and I can’t get enough of sake plants, fiddle leaf fig trees and cacti. If you feel like you are in need of a plant, but you are scarred to kill them, go with the one and only: the Snake Plant. It comes in different varieties and sizes and it’s super hard to kill. It doesn’t need much love and is one of the best plants cleaning your air.
Feel free and check out my plant store in Squamish or online at:
We all know that feeling, having hundreds of pictures of the last vacation on the phone, but we never really have time to look at them, while they droning after hundreds of new pictures that have been taken the following day.
Show your pictures. Share your story.
And I don’t mean tattoo your story on your body, simply get a frame (thrift store? Facebook Market place?) and print your favourit pictures. Pictures that make you smile and take you back will bring good feelings in you and they look pretty on your sideboard. They can be a reason to start a good conversation as well.
Wallpaper up your room:
I know what you’re thinking: “This can’t be done. I live in a rental space.” Or “this is way too much work”. No! I know an easy & cheap way that requires only a bit of creativity. I love the Amazon Adhesive golden Tape (see link and picture below) that I can simply stick to any wall without damaging it.
My next project is the powder room. Stay tuned.
Pillow Party Paradise:
You may know that I am obsessed with pillows. If not, now you know 😉
I love this cozy and comfy type of accessory that does not only bring you comfort and invites you to rest, but pillows also can be the highlight in your living room on your sofa, window sill or anywhere else you like to be comfortable. Pick a fun colour! Go bold! Or go with a seasonal style.
Thank you for your time. I hope you guys enjoyed my checklist.
Happy Thursday Evening.